Using the Tokyo subway is the fastest and most affordable way to travel around central Tokyo.
If you are a foreigner visiting Japan there are a few very good railway passes that will only be available to you by presenting your passport. This includes the Tokyo Subway Ticket. If you are going to be travelling in Tokyo for a couple days, I suggest you get this pass. It gives you unlimited rides in the Tokyo Metro and Toei Subway lines for a specified amount of time. You can buy 24, 48 or 72 hour passes for a very good price. The time starts as soon as you use it for the first time and it conveniently marks the time of when it will stop working on your ticket. This also means that you can buy them in advance if Tokyo isn’t going to be your first stop.
- Tokyo Subway 24-hour Ticket – Adult: 800 yen, Child: 400 yen
- Tokyo Subway 48-hour Ticket – Adult: 1,200 yen, Child: 600 yen
- Tokyo Subway 72-hour Ticket – Adult: 1,500 yen, Child: 750 yen
This pass will work in the Tokyo Metro and Toei Subway lines as illustrated in the map below.
Where to Buy
The easiest place to get it is at the airport. The women in the booth seem to speak English relatively well and whether you are landing in Haneda or Narita airports, you will be able to get this pass at their information desks conveniently located inside the airport. The second best place would be at the foreign Tourist Information Offices. There are a lot of them located all throughout Tokyo. If for some reason you are not able to get them at either of these places here is a list of other places that sell them:
- Overseas Travel Agencies (Lion Travel, HanaTour, Ctrip, JAPAN ALL PASS, Baksa Tour)
- Haneda Airport (International Terminal Visitor Information Center)
- Narita Airport (Keisei Bus Ticket Counter)
- In the station premises of Tokyo Metro
- Foreign Tourist Information Offices located all throughout Tokyo
- Other Places of Purchase in Tokyo– Includes department stores such as select BIC Camera locations
- Hotels-Some hotels sell these tickets to all hotel guests and some hotels only sell these tickets to hotel guests who have booked a package which includes this ticket.
- Bus– At Miyako Station Bus Information Center they only offer 24-hour tickets
Whether you want to walk the streets of Shibuya or visit the Tokyo Skytree in Oshiage this pass allows you unlimited access to all of central Tokyo for a very affordable price.